Enrolling a maximum of 20 students and available for undergraduate credit only, the Academic Committee emphasizes small-group instruction, close attention to writing, an expanded opportunity for classroom discussion, and the opportunity to do independent research or an independent project under the direction of a professor.
The Academic Committee modifies classroom activities to ensure the professors are providing:
1. Student engagement in the classroom;
2. Critical thinking skills;
3. Analytical and problem-solving skills;
4. Flexible learning outcomes accommodating a full spectrum of learning differences;
5. Multiple objective perspectives regarding concepts and applications;
6. Diverse approaches and emerging theories along with ethical and sustainable applications.
Note: All sessions are very intense, to be successful, students need to attend every class. Occasionally, a student may need to miss a class due to illness or other unavoidable circumstances. According to SJTU ISS Program's policy, a student is required to present a medical certificate to be excused. Any unexcused absences may have an impact on the student's grade. Students who miss more than 1/3 of the classes of a course will automatically fail the course.